Twilight 11.21.08

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Damien Rice at WAMU Theater in NYC



This is a song that the band made up on the spot with suggestions from the audience. "Happy Green Joe"

Ok, this is going to be a short blog. I am going to write a longer one after the Frames show tomorrow. I have to say that I love Shane Fitzsimons. Seeing him 3 times in a year and a half makes me feel really lucky. Let me just say that the Damien show was amazing. He was playing and singing with so much aggression. It was loud and in your face. It was the 2nd best Damien show I've been to. I couldn't have asked for anything better (unless Lisa was there). So there is a studio drummer touring with Damien right now. Who by the way is HOT!!! He is also an extraordinary drummer. Shane at points looked so impressed and he blew Honey and me away. Everyone was having a great time on stage. It was really nice to see. The drummer is Brendan Buckley and he toured with Shakira last year (which is funny bc I met her randomly). But he was AMAZING!! funnily enough he also looked like Honey's friend mike. He could have been his brother. And talking to him after the show I found out he's from Jersey!!

After there was the usual stalking... We met this kid Ian from Dublin. I really don't have time for details at the moment. But he told us (mind you he has no connection to the band. but he knows a lot about a lot and not in a "I know everything" type of a way. But in a way that I think he knows what he's talking about.) Anyway... he told us that Tomo (tom osander) is with Lisa Hannigan at the moment. Helping her out bc her album is planning on coming out sometime next year. (I cannot wait for that.) I couldn't believe it. Honey sent me an article and I read on Damien's boards that at some show (I don't think in America) Damien called Lisa and tomo from the stage. He had the audience say "we miss you". That's a really ballsy and not nice thing to do. I love Damien and I respect him. But it's really fucking difficult to defend him (even if it's just to myself) when he does shit like that. I just don't understand when he acts like that. On a good note he was looking all kinds of hot at the show. No longer homeless man.... just vintage chord man. He got a new haircut and I love his hair short like that. He wore a jacket and orange chords. But of course outside later, he looked slightly homeless bc of that stupid baha he has. Shane also looked all hot bc he was wearing a black suit jacket with jeans and some really great shoes!! HAWT!!! I love him.

After the show we were able to spend some time with shane and that made me really, really happy. I pretty much wouldn't bc I couldn't let go. I was able to ask him if we could stay with him when we eventually come to ireland he said no. but he did say we could come to dinner if it's ok with his lady. But we were like, she's gonna love us and we are going to love her!!! we won't even pay attention to you!! it was funny. Maybe he said yes bc he doesn't think we will get to ireland... little does he know... we will... I don't know when... but eventually. Honey was of course embarrassed that I asked... but I don't care. He remembered us from last time. The exact show and city we were in. He remembered that I gave him that picture which he said that he has at home. He remembered that whole story with Lisa and Gary (lightbody). Details that we didn't even tell him, details that LISA HANNIGAN told him!!! then he said that he told her that he saw us!!! It's crazy!! He's so good. He's amazing and he's really a good person. There was a lot of hugging and him letting me hug him. He talking about his parents and said some really sweet things. Things that made me love him more. I gave him (from me and honey) come cd's of a 3 live shows. The police from Bonnaroo, Sigur Ros from NY and their own show from 5/3/04 from beacon.

I was also able to talk to Damien for a minute privately, which really means that we were face to face an inch away from each other. There is no "private" outside the bus with other people. I wanted to tell him something very private about what his music means to me and I didn't want other people to hear me. There was only a few of us anyway. But I was able to tell him and I almost started to cry. Damien never took his eyes off me and I didn't either (i tried not to even blink). Putting his hand on my arm he rubbed lightly. It let me know that he understood what I was saying. I could see it in his eyes. When he looks at me I really feel that he sees me. I sense a connection that we share and I don't think i'm crazy when I say this. I really feel it. I see the way he looks at other people and I see the way he looks at me and it's different. He remembers me from that time in dc last year. (he may not remember my name. but he remembers the conversation). We hugged, very tightly, for a nice amount of time. Honey then reminded me about keane. so I told him that when we met keane they do the opposite of what he does and what we get from him is so much more. The time and the conversation lasts forever in your head. Things like that you never forget. The connection. But with a meaningless signature and a picture that has blankness it really feels like it's not worth it. (unless it's edge or dave or alex or muse) But the thing about shane is that he can do both. He can have the conversation and the picture bc there is something in the picture. It's not blank. But Honey and I wanted to let Damien know that he was right. what he gives to his fans is worth more then any picture he could take or any ticket that he could sign. So thank you to Damien for staying and talking and understanding. Thank you for playing an incredible show. Thank you to Shane for being amazingly sweet, kind and open.

The frames are tomorrow and I am really, really looking forward to that. It's Irish week and it makes me really happy.

I suppose this wasn't such a short blog. But what are you gonna do???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home